Friday, December 4, 2009

Slow Driving

It seems as though my slow driving has done nothing, but, slow me down. Thursday Gracie was late for school. Granted, first I have to drop Summer and Shawn off on University and Ellsworth to catch the bus and then drive out to the Hunt Highway and Gary (Crismon ish) to drop off Gracie, but I haven't been late before.
Today, I rounded the corner to Shawn and Summers bus stop just as the bus was leaving. I slowed, (I was going to just u turn and drive to the school) the bus driver stopped and asked if I wanted to let the kids on. I said "Sure, if you don't mind." Mean while Summer was tearing up at how embarrassing it was to be the last one to get on the bus, and that it was a special "stop". I guess I'm getting old when I can say, I just didn't understand. It's not like I turned the corner honking and waving the bus driver down. Yelling out my window, "Yoohoo!! Bus Driver! Wait for two more!" It was all very calm and collected. Poor girl was so mortified that she even told me after I picked her up that "Next time please just keep driving. Don't stop and chat it up with the bus driver."
It's tough being the mom. Sometimes you just don't know what to do....

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Embarrassing our children is how we build character in them. Go, Rachael!



tarde -- being late for the bus.

Rachael Papes said...

I'm so glad. I needed a cheer! I was feeling the mom underdog syndrome lately.

Katt said...

Sister that's so sad but I couldn't help but laugh! Summer is too funny! Your a great mom no matter how you feel inside.

mikestribe said...

Have you noticed on hwy 60, most of the out of state plates are doing 60? Maybe it's because they think the hwy 60 signs are the speed limit, not the 65 signs. They are both rectangles now.